Sunday, May 22, 2016

First Post!

My friends have repeatedly told me that I wouldn't be a great blogger because my writing is too formal. Against their advice and my better judgement I've decided to keep a blog about my experiences while working abroad in Belfast this summer. It is important to mention that this is my first time abroad and as a result, these blog posts will include my reflections and observations related to being out of the US for the first time. So far so good, huh?

I just finished my first year in the Conflict Resolution program at Georgetown and it has been nothing but a positive experience so far! Prior to starting in the CR program, I graduated from NYU with a degree in political science. Also, while at NYU I was a resident assistant. It was at the intersection of learning about international politics and mediating and facilitating conversations between/ among undergraduate residents that didn't always live in the land of friendship and harmony that brought me to the CR program.

Within the program I am focusing primarily on the environment and conflict, specifically conflict related to water, but I also have an interest in capacity building and post conflict reconstruction. During my first year I didn't focus much on capacity building and post conflict reconstruction, which is why I am excited to share my observations and reflections related to my experience at Co-operation Ireland over the next 10 weeks.

Co-operation Ireland is an “all-island peace-building charity that, since 1979, has worked to encourage and promote interaction, dialogue and practical collaboration within Northern Ireland and between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.” I have been extremely lucky to connect with Co-operation Ireland and to have the chance to help out on its United Nations International Day of Peace project. In my next post I will write about the peace project that I have been assigned to as well as what my first full week in Belfast was like.


Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment